If you use or purchase an Air Purification system, you may be familiar with activated Carbon Filter. With so many Air Purifier Filters to choose from, you may be wondering how activated carbon filters work or the benefits of using them. Don’t be fooled by her little height. These clever filters fight everything from allergens and harsh pollutants to unpleasant tastes and odors. They rely on an adsorption process to remove and trap contaminants, leaving only fresh, breathable air. Let’s take a closer look at how these little filters can significantly improve the overall air quality.
This article is aimed to elaborate on the concept of carbon filters, and their benefits and usage and so let’s get started!!!
First of all, everyone needs to know what is an activated carbon filter?
Activated carbon filters are small, granular, or powdery block-shaped pieces of carbon that are treated to be very porous. Due to its very spongy appearance, 1 gram of activated carbon can easily cover a surface area of 500 m2 or more. Due to their large surface area, these activated carbon filters can adsorb more pollutants and allergens exponentially than traditional activated carbon. Adsorption is a special process in which organic compounds in the air or water chemically react with activated carbon and adhere to the filter. The more porous the activated carbon, the more contaminants it traps. These filters are mainly used to remove harmful compounds in household air purification systems.
What are the benefits of activated carbon filters?
There are many advantages associated with the use of activated carbon filters. These purification devices can be used to remove unwanted or harmful contaminants from the air that can pose a health threat. In air purification systems, activated carbon filters can be used in combination with HEPA filters to capture known allergens and contaminants, including:
- Mold spores
- Animal hair
- Ordinary household chemicals
- Benzene and other VOCs
Carbon filters also help remove unpleasant odors and keep the room air fresh. When activated carbon and a HEPA filter are used together, 99.97% of the small particles of 0.3 microns and the largest particles, especially spores, can be captured. Activated carbon filters are especially useful for people who suffer from allergies and exacerbations from dirty air such as indirect smoking. If you are a smoker or live with a smoker, using an activated carbon filter in your home air purification system can provide unparalleled benefits to your respiratory health.
How does the activated carbon filter work?
Filtration systems that use chemical reactions to decontaminate air may sound complicated, but they are actually quite simple. Activated carbon is usually sold in thick or thin packs for air filtration. It is then inserted into major purifiers such as air purifiers and HEPA air filters. Contaminated air enters the filter system, passes through activated carbon, and is adsorbed to leave the filter clean. When used in combination with a HEPA filter, activated carbon prevents large particles such as dust and lint from reaching them, improving the performance of the HEPA filter and prolonging its life.
What are the characteristics of DuPont alternative carbon for TruSens Small Allergy & Flu filters?
- This activated carbon pellet filter is specially designed to remove contaminants from the air that can cause allergies and flu-like symptoms. This carbon layer is compatible with all TruSens small air purifier allergy and flu filter drums. Using activated carbon pellets, this filter provides protection against unwanted air pollutants that can enter your home.
- This layer should be replaced with an Allergy & FluHEPA drum filter Filter replacement is essential for optimal performance of the air purifier. For best results, replace the activated carbon filter every 3-4 months. If the filter needs to be replaced, the air purifier will display a replacement indicator light
- Fits allergy and flu filter drums for all TruSens small air purifiers. The pack contains one filter.
Why use carbon air filters?
There are many advantages to using an activated carbon filter.
These are often the preferred methods of indoor air filtration for the following reasons:
- Volatile organic compounds are removed. These include ozone, chlorine compounds, tobacco smoke, gases released by cleaning agents and paints, and chemicals such as benzene, toluene, and xylene.
- You can get rid of odors: Traditional air purifiers only filter the particles. Odors cannot be removed, but carbon filters are designed to remove odor-causing molecules from air and heating and air conditioning systems, so they can be removed.
- They are safe to use: Carbon air filters are completely safe whether they are used to purify the air, water, or gas. They are also used in spacesuit life support systems.
- Activated carbon also has medicinal, cosmetic, environmental, and agricultural uses.
- The charcoal filter lasts a long time. It usually lasts 3 to 6 months, but the length depends on the amount of charcoal used. Thick filters tend to last longer. Some high-performance products can be used for up to 5 years.
In short, there are various advantages to using an activated carbon filter to improve indoor air quality, TruSens provides high-quality carbon filters that remove toxins from the air and improve your living by providing you with clean fresh, and germ-free air to breathe.